CIVIL RIGHTS COMPLAINT & LEGAL REDRESS PROCESS FLOW & FAQ’s
9-STEP COMPLAINT REVIEW PROCESS
If you believe that you have been the victim of a Civil or Human Rights wrongful action and want to file a complaint with the Springfield Branch NAACP (SB NAACP) and have the organization investigate your complaint, you MUST submit a formal Complaint Form.
Here are the steps and sequential actions for submitting a complaint and it being processed by the SB NAACP:
1. Applicant obtains and completely fills out a SB NAACP Civil Rights Complaint Form.
2. Applicant submits the completed Complaint Form to the SB NAACP.
3. The SB NAACP dates and time stamps Complaint Form upon receipt.
4. The SB NAACP’s Legal Redress Team (LRT) reviews received Complaint Forms for completeness and to determine the dynamics of the complaint and potential course(s)
of action for complaining applicant and ultimately, resolution of the issue.
5. The SB NAACP LRT contacts the complainant to:
* Request additional or collaborating information, if needed.
* Schedule an appointment with the complainant, if there’s sufficient evidence of a
wrong doing or actionable offense,
* If LRT determines that the complaint does NOT have merit for action, advise the
complainant of this and the reason(s) why.
6. Interview the complainant and have complainant complete applicable waiver and
7. Determine the best course of action to obtain resolution of the complaint.
8. Pursue recommended course of action. When necessary, refer complainant to legal
9. Develop and maintain detailed documentation for each case.
CIVIL and HUMAN RIGHTS COMPLAINTS – FAQ’s
What is the LRT’s goal in helping me?
The SB NAACP Branch 2056 LRT has established several goals and objectives.
These G&Os are as follows:
1. Review submitted Complaint form in a timely manner.
2. Thoroughly discuss legitimate complaints with complainants in a timely manner.
3. Attempt to resolve legitimate cases with all involved parties.
4. Refer complainants to legal representatives when necessary.
Where can I get a Complaint form?
1. Can be downloaded from this website. (click on the link in #1, above)
2. Are available at the SB NAACP office, 35 Alden Street, Springfield, MA.
3. Can be faxed or mailed, upon request. Call the office at (413) 650-6154 to request.
Why do I have to fill out a Complaint Form?
1. The Complaint form provides our LRT thorough information about a complaint, the associated circumstances and the parties involved. This helps our LRT assess the situation and determine what action(s), if any need to be taken.
2. The Complaint form also serves to provide the complainant with a type of “Statement of Understanding” regarding what the LRT can do as well as CAN NOT do.
What is the SB NAACP process for submitting a Civil/Human Rights complaint?
Please read/review the 9-step process listed above.
Does the SB NAACP have any Lawyers? What is the background of your LRT ?
1. Although persons on the LRT may be lawyers, the SB NAACP does NOT employ ANY Lawyers nor does it provide “direct” legal representation.
2. The LRT is comprised of individuals with experience and/or training in areas such as Conflict Resolution, Human Resources, Labor Relations, People Skills and Problem Solving Techniques.
Why can’t I just call in and provide a verbal complaint?
1. Federal and State Privacy and Confidentiality laws require that provisions be in place to protect individuals information as well as restrict who has access to it.
2. The Complaint Form has been structured to solicit the “who, what, where, why and how”details regarding a complaint. This helps the complainant compile and structure relevant and often key compliant information.
3. The Complaint Form provides formal documentation and a record for a submitted
complaint. As such, it also serves to protect both the complainant and branch LRT
and mitigate confusion that often results from verbal ONLY scenarios.